Monday, June 23, 2008

Another great site

Ok. This site looks great. I honestly find it somewhat familiar. I am not sure if it was mentioned in class or I have looked at it in the past. I search google for classroom decor because I was thinking about an earlier class. It was our class when testing children in a room was discussed. I believe it was regarding children's vocabulary and the actual amount of words they knew and would write down it given a certain amount of time. My question at the time was how would the room they were being testing in appear? Would it be spartan or highly decorated? Thinking back on that class peaked my interest regarding what the internet might have for me.

I personally have never gone overboard with decorating. I would always have some personal pictures on a cork board nearer to my desk near the entrance to my room. I figured students would see these coming in and definitely leaving the class. Simply pictures of my dogs or something I saw on the internet that I thought was amazing or just plain silly. Nothing distasteful of course. This had always proven to be a great ice breaker in the beginning of the school year or the start of a new semester. I would also place around the room religious pictures of the pope, Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and of course at least one crucifix. Some discussions were made from these. Students would at times ask about the style of a painting/picture or why someone was portrayed the way they were. Another easy and relevant visual is the crufix and the scientific accuracy of the portrayal.

I have a friend and co-worker that loves to have his students do projects for extra credit. He would then tack many of them on his walls. I often found myself very interested in them. He would sometimes be very clever in his assignments, challenging them to see symbols in Catholicism.

Is there a danger of too much? Could this be more of a distraction then a help?

He tradtionally taught Freshman over the years. Besides the last few years, I have always had older students. I never really tried those types of assignments because early on when I did, the older students showed little interest.

I do, on the other hand, show many pictures from outside sources or print outs. These are rarely on display for long.

I have seen many other teachers' rooms decorated with foundational concepts of English and Foreign Language. I do see the usefulness for those classes, especially language. I would imagine posters with

Any suggestions or comments?

No comments: