Monday, June 23, 2008

our class

I have to say this class has been extremely enjoyable. Right from day one, the comfort level has allowed for some enlightening discussions. Professor Luongo has been very helpful and very prepared. A very admirable trait. I think her approach and methods have been excellent. A nice balance of riddles, exercises, handouts, power point presentations, and open class discussions. The little notes of disobedience were a bit of a twist first time around for me, but obviously have become a nice excuse for the class to act and act up. Not sure how I will handle that tomorrow, but we shall see. I have watered my reading plans down a bit from Gnosticism and the Gospel of Mary. Having clear cut responsibilities for our grades was great. There really could be no doubt of the requirements thanks to Professor's thoroughness. The online resources were amazing. So many links!
I think I have mentioned in class discussion about class atmosphere. I genuinely believe if a student feels comfortable, they will not only have a better chance of learning, but a greater desire to want to learn. In my years of schooling, as with probably everyone, I remember the good and the bad. In college for instance, I had a professor for a course on the Gospels. This professor was like an encyclopedia, but it was very dry. I did learn information, but that is ALL it seemed like. On the flip side, another religion professor had the same level of knowledge of the subject. The course was on Eastern religions. But his personality and enthusiasm made me desire to learn more. At one point in class he was even chanting. Any man that would chat in front of undergraduate students must love what he is doing.
Students at all levels can sense when a teacher really enjoys what they are doing. And who would turn down a chance to be in on something that enjoyable. This cannot be forced. I have found the more sincere, enthusiastic, and open a teacher/professor has been, the more enjoyable the class has been. This class has been one of them.
It has been quite obvious everyone has enjoyed the class and taken many valuable lessons from it. I would personally hope to see everyone in the future. Maybe even keeping in touch with emails. Not sure who would be into that but I think it might be nice to keep in touch.
Thanks All

3 comments:

Arleen said...

I really enjoyed your story "The Lion's Haircut." As you were reading, I remember reading it to my own children. It also reminded me of my two year-old grandson. Thanks!

Cindye said...

Loved the "Lion's Haircut". You made me laugh. It's a classic

Norine Switzer said...

Thanks, Steve!